Thursday, October 24, 2019

Maymester

Maymester


I was approached by my french professor who asked me to sign up for the french Maymester. The trip looks absolutely beautiful and completely submerses you into the french culture. You start in Paris, and make your way all throughout France on a two week adventure. I would get to experience the culture, learn the language, try new foods, etc. 

Being a french minor, this is a very appealing trip to me. I want to learn everything there is to know about different french speaking places worldwide.

But, I have now reached a dilemma in my academic career. I have been told all throughout my life that school always comes before sports, but while in college sometimes that is not always the case.

I am on the lacrosse team at High Point University and my games are played in the spring. Our conference tournament would end on May 6, but our team has much bigger aspirations this year. We feel like we should not only win our conference, but make a good run in the NCAA tournament.

The issue that arises here is that the Maymester would commence on May 12. This means that if we were to win our conference, then I would not be able to go. I am stuck in a weird place between being in love with the french language and the game of lacrosse. I know that whatever happens I cant have both. It is a sad, but simple realization.

For me, the chance to tour the world has always been something that I have wanted to do, and to do it with friend and classmates would make the experience even better. On the other hand, this is my third year on the men's lacrosse team at HPU, and I am hungry for a ring.

Decisions...decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment